top of page
  • Writer's pictureBrian Foley

The Woodlands Criminal Defense Attorney - What happens if you are convicted of theft?

Theft charges are among the worst types of convictions to have on "your record." A theft is what is called a "moral turpitude" crime. This means it is a crime that has been held to legally classify you as untrustworthy. Many employers will refuse to hire a person who has a prior theft conviction. It can also be used to impeach your credibility if you are a witness at a trial after your conviction and within 10 years under Texas Rule of Evidence 609.

However theft charges have many different ways to be resolved without a conviction. For example you could have the case dismissed because there is a lack of probable cause to believe:

  1. That you are actually the person who stole the items to begin with;

  2. That the items are not valued at greater than $100 and less than $750. (For Class B theft)

  3. Or that you had the intent to permanently deprive or lacked consent to take the property from the owner.

You could also get deferred adjudication probation where the case is dismissed after completion of the probation and you could then apply for a non-disclosure after that.

If the prosecutor doesn't believe you are a large risk they may even offer for you to take an anti-theft class and then dismiss the charges allowing them to be expunged.


For litigants who do not have counsel: Reading this blog post does not create an attorney client relationship. Call to set up a free consultation.

For the general public: This Blog/Web Site is for educational purposes only and it provides general information and a general understanding of the law, but does not provide specific legal advice. By using this site, commenting on posts, or sending inquiries through the site or contact email, you confirm that there is no attorney-client relationship created. Don't just read this as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney.

For attorneys: This Blog is informational and educational in nature and is not a substitute for Westlaw or other research and consultation on specific matters pertaining to your clients. As you know the law can change day to day based on recent case opinions. And unfortunately you shouldn't cite it in court as binding authority because it is not. Mention it to your friends, just seek real consultation if its something important.

5 views0 comments


bottom of page