top of page
  • Writer's pictureBrian Foley

The Woodlands DWI Attorney - How do you bond someone out of jail in Montgomery County?

The Woodlands DWI Attorney - Brian Foley - Board Certified in Criminal Law.

How do you bond someone out of jail in Montgomery County, Texas? Call the Montgomery County Jail 936) 760-5870 or check out the jail roster and wait for it to be updated with a bond amount.

The jail roster can be found online at

What is a Bond in a criminal case?

A bond is a piece of paper that indicates you have paid money or have been released on your own recognizance until such time that you appear in court on your court date. These are separate from financial products like savings bonds that you may have heard about before.

Once you know the bond amount you can get them released from jail on bond in one of three ways depending on what kind of bond the Judge or prosecutor assigned.

How do you bond out of the Montgomery County Jail?

  1. A PR Bond - This is a free bond that requires no money to be paid even if it says $500 PR.

  2. A Surety Bond - This is a bond obtained through a bondsman or bail bond company (same thing) where the bail bondsman will require you to pay a certain percentage of the total amount. For example if you have a $10,000 bond you may be required to pay 10% to the bondsman $1000 and then you will be released from jail. Unlike a cash bond you cannot recover this amount. If you fail to appear in court then the bondsman will have to pay the full amount.

  3. A Cash Bond - A cash bond is where you pay the County the full amount of your bond. This is retained by the county and forfeited if you fail to appear in court. If you make all your court dates until the case is finished you will receive the amount of the cash bond back from the County.

What does PR bond mean?

A PR bond is a personal recognizance bond and it means that when a person is arrested they will be released from the jail without having to pay a cash bond or a bail bondsman to be released. A PR bond allows you to continue with your life typically uninterrupted until your court date. If you fail to appear for your court date the Judge will revoke your bond and in a misdemeanor set a new bond in the amount of $10,000. In a felony your bond will be set aside entirely and you will have to wait typically 2 weeks before the judge will entertain a motion for a new bond.

If you have found that a loved one has been arrested in Montgomery County, Texas or The Woodlands Texas your first calls should be to a Criminal Defense Attorney and a Bail Bondsman. If you have the resources to post a cash bond this may be the best option for you. If you do not then a bail bondsman can help by reducing the amount of the bond you pay them to 10%.

What are conditions of bond?

If you have been arrested for a Felony or Family Violence in Montgomery County Texas you are going to be assigned to a bond supervision officer and be required to abide by bond conditions. Most people are shocked to learn that they are required to abide by these conditions which mirror felony probation even before they have been found guilty or received their fair day in court. The typical Montgomery County Ancillary Conditions of Bond are listed below:

What are Ancillary Conditions of Bond in Montgomery County, Texas?

  1. Submit to the Montgomery County Community Supervision & Corrections Department immediately following release from custody for intake;

  2. Abstain from the use of alcohol or controlled substances, unless prescribed by a physician;

  3. Furnish a urine specimen for alcohol/drug testing. The Defendant shall continue to submit to random urinalysis alcohol/drug testing at his/her own own expense at such time said testing may be requested by MCCSCD. Any detection of alcohol or non-prescription drugs in said urinalysis will be a violation of the Defendant's condition of bond. The Court considers dilute urinalysis to be positive urinalysis.

  4. Report as directed by the Judge or the Supervision Officer and pay a supervision fee of $60.00 per month to the Montgomery County CSCD;

  5. Commit no offense against the laws of this State or of any other State or of the United States;

  6. Avoid injurious or vicious habits, and persons or places of disreputable or harmful character;

  7. Notify MCDCSC of any change of email, address, employment and/or telephone;

  8. Not possess a firearm or knife, unless you are a full-time paid peace officer;

  9. Remain within the State of Texas, unless otherwise permitted by the Court or supervision officer;

  10. Not communicate directly or indirectly with the victim or any member of the victim's family or household;

  11. If your offense is a Sex Offense No Contact with anyone under 18, No Internet Use;

  12. Not go to or within 200 yards of the residence, place of employment, or business, or child care facility or school of the victim or any member of the victim's household;

  13. Not engage in conduct directed toward victim or any member of the victim's family or household, including the person that is reasonably likely to harass, annoy, alarm, abuse, torment, or embarrass;

  14. Other conditions: (This is a catch all provision which can be any reasonable condition thought up by the judge).


For litigants who do not have counsel: Reading this blog post does not create an attorney client relationship. Call to set up a free consultation.

For the general public: This Blog/Web Site is for educational purposes only and it provides general information and a general understanding of the law, but does not provide specific legal advice. By using this site, commenting on posts, or sending inquiries through the site or contact email, you confirm that there is no attorney-client relationship created. Don't just read this as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney.

For attorneys: This Blog is informational and educational in nature and is not a substitute for Westlaw or other research and consultation on specific matters pertaining to your clients. As you know the law can change day to day based on recent case opinions. And unfortunately you shouldn't cite it in court as binding authority because it is not. Mention it to your friends, just seek real consultation if its something important.

27 views0 comments


bottom of page